About Us

Sunday, February 19, 2012

Sherrie Dennis' "News From the Edge..."


IMAG0125.JPG
Mz Carolyn White, the Gullah story telller / Sherri Dennis


Edge of the Atlantic! that is…
Being retired, I have been working on my “bucket list”…
Anyway, I rented a townhouse across the Cooper from
Charleston, SC  in Mt Pleasant for two months.
Today I went to Folly beach and watched dolphins play on the waves,
ate shrimp and clams outside ( hey, it was 70 degrees), then later went with my
pup, Mei Ling, to Sullivan Island and walked the beach and watched the sun starting
to set…a lovely day.
I have been painting landscapes and Gullah women. Gullah Geechee, is what the black descendents of slaves of the Sea Islands are called. Their language is pigeon English mixed with some African dialects. Because February is Black History month, they are presenting free events like Gullah story tellers and sweet grass basket weavers and indigo
dye makers. Their culture is fascinating and rich with customs handed down over generations. It is so fun to learn about people and their heritage.
   I am looking forward to the Southern Wildlife Exposition next week in Charleston where over 100 artists and 500 exhibitors display artwork and give presentations about wildlife and the environment, including our own, Jack Hanna!
   I come back to reality the end of the month and have an OAAE meeting then OAEA meeting to attend in March.
   Retired people, what are you waiting for???? Go follow your dreams if you can or Make ART ‘til you drop!! I have to remind myself that time is fleeting and have to pursue my dreams because no one is going to do it for me.
                                                                                         Sherrie Dennis

No comments:

Post a Comment